Friday, November 17, 2006

Issues

"So I think you've shown improvement but there are these other things we haven't gotten traction on and which I think we should work on more with my supervisor."

"Well, I don't understand why we don't have a clearer idea of what those other things might be."

"Well, we do, but I didn't want to scare you with the specifics."

"I see . . . . Well, I think it's hard to know what might be going on. Maybe these things are problems, maybe some deepseated issues simply haven't appeared. Or maybe I'm just able to do things I never could before and simply have to learn how to do them."

"You've been doing these things for years and you're still having trouble."

"Yes and no. If I'd been playing basketball for years with vision limited to ten feet around me, and suddenly could see the whole floor, I wouldn't expect to suddenly be a great player. I'd have a chance to learn all sorts of things, but they would still be new even though I had been the court for so much time."

"Even then some players would have different abilities, and you could be missing something that other players have. That's what we'd be looking for."

"Yes, but there's no way to know what those gaps are until I've tried to play under the new conditions for a while. I think we should break from this for a while and see what we've got. I've got to develop my own initiative, build up my focus on the things that matter and break down my distractions. If I can't do those things, then maybe I've got other issues to address."

"I'm glad you agree we should stop for a while and then come back and re-evaluate."

"Um, okay."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home